Friday, March 15, 2013

Biere de Nord: Recipe

After brewing the second batch of Demeter Auran this past Sunday, I'll also brewed my first attempt at a biere de garde.  This will be more of a farmhouse version of the style, not being entirely controlled other than in the initial stages.  I went with a standard European Ale yeast at low temperatures for primary, and then will lager for about a month.  After that, I plan to get the beer into a keg for long-term aging with red wine-soaked oak cubes and Brettanomyces Lambicus, along with dregs from Citrine.  The hope is that the initial fermentation will take the beer to a fairly low gravity, and from there I can get some earthy and cherry character from the Brett, along with a bit of acidity from the Citrine dregs.  The red wine will hopefully add a nice touch, and I'll probably keep it to a relatively-small amount for a longer period of time.

The recipe for the full batch is as follows:

Batch Number: 63
Brew Date: March 10, 2013
Bottle Date: October 6, 2013
Batch Size: 5 Gallon
OG: 1.072 (est.)
FG: 1.005 (est.)

Fermentation Temperature: Ambient (~65 F)
IBU: 25.1
ABV: 7.9% (est.); 8.2% (act.)
SRM: 15.7

Mash: Single infusion for 90 minutes at 148 F.
Boil: 60 minute


12lb French Pilsner
12oz Caramunich Malt
8oz Aromatic Malt

4.2oz Amber Malt
2oz Brown Malt
2oz Carafa III


1.75oz Fuggles (4 AAU) at 60 minutes


1 Tbsp 5.2 buffer in mash

Red-wine soaked medium toast French oak cubes (.75 ounces in secondary)


White Labs WLP011 (European Ale): 2L starter made several days beforehand

Wyeast Brettanomyces Lambicus (secondary)
Ambrosia Citrine dregs
BFM Sq. Rt. 225 Historical Saison dregs


03.10.2013: Brewday.  Everything went off without a hitch.  The batch got 30 seconds of straight oxygen, and then went into a corny with a blowoff tube for fermentation.

03.11.2013: Strong fermentation after 24 hours.

Unrecorded (lost to computer glitch): After lagering, added a smackpack of Wyeast Brettanomyces Lambicus.  Assume based on date for bottling below that the beer started lagering after 2-3 weeks and then lagered for 4 weeks, so was on the wine-soaked oak cubes and dregs for about 5 months.

10.06.2013: Bottled to achieve approximately 2.4 volumes of CO2. Given that the beer is somewhat inspired by BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien, I also added the dregs of a bottle of BFM Historical Sq. Rt. 225 Saison before bottling.

06.30.2014: Tasting notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment