Saturday, February 22, 2014

Ambrosia Farmhouse Mild (Batch 04): Recipe

This is now my fourth time overall brewing Farmhouse Mild.  Most of the recipe is the same, but this time I also added a bit of raw spelt to give the recipe a little more of a rustic flare.  The spelt was not cereal mashed.  I had also run out of Munich, so this time I used a little Aromatic and Vienna instead.  Finally, for a bit more color, I added a bit of CaraMunich.

For the hops, this was my first time using Belma, which should give a nice fruitiness to the beer, as the HopsDirect website describes the hop as follows: "very orange, slight grapefruit, tropical pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma."
The recipe for the full batch is as follows:

Batch Number: 78
Brew Date: February 2, 2014
Bottle/Keg Date:
Batch Size: 10 Gallon
OG: 1.044 (estimated)
Fermentation Temperature: 65 F
IBU: 25.2
ABV: 5.6% (est.)
SRM: 5.9

Mash: Single infusion for 60 minutes at 154 F.
Boil: 60 minute


6lb 8oz French Pilsner
4lb White Wheat Malt
2lb Wheat, Flaked
1lb Spelt, Raw
1lb Vienna Malt
14oz Acidulated Malt
8oz Aromatic Malt
8oz CaraMunich Malt
8oz Oats, Flaked
8oz Rye, Flaked

Salts & Water

5.5g Calcium Chloride (all added directly to the kettle)
2.8g Gypsum (all added directly to the kettle)

Resulting water profile (based on EZ Water Calculator v3) is as follows:

Mash pH (est.): 5.40
Calcium: 70
Magnesium: 12
Sodium: 7
Chloride: 59
Sulfate: 53

I used lactic acid to adjust the pH of the sparge water, adding 5mL to the 9 gallons of water used for the sparge.


5mL HopShot at 60 minutes (25.2 IBUs)
2oz Belma (11.6 AAU), at flameout
1oz Simcoe (13.0 AAU), at flameout
1oz Amarillo (8.5 AAU), at flameout


2 tsp. Wyeast Yeast Nutrient at 10 minutes



02.02.2014: Added 5mL of 88% lactic acid to the 9 gallons of sparge water to achieve a sparge water pH of 5.6, using the sparge water acidification measurements provided in the spreadsheet available from Homebrewing Physics:

Measured mash pH of 5.5 at roughly room temperature.

Used cake from 01.05.2014 batch (unrecorded; lost notes).  133mL to each bucket after 30 seconds of oxygen.  Loose lids.  Chilled to upper 60s.  OG is 1.047.

02.04.2014: Very strange fermentation here.  Looks very slightly ropy on the top after 48 hours.  At 36 hours, there were visible CO2 bubbles rising to the top and the gravity was down to 1.044.  At 48 hours, there still is no krausen, but there are visible bubbles and it's down to 1.039.

02.05.2014: Ended up adding a wine thief or two full of the batch with HF Anna dregs to each bucket, and 12 hours later a krausen had started to form.  24 hours later, at full krausen underneath the Brett pellicle.  Very interesting look.

No comments:

Post a Comment