Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Demeter Auran (Batch 03): Recipe

This is now the third batch of Demeter Auran, and the first I've done fermenting with something other than my initial mixed-ferment saison dreg blend.  For this 10-gallon batch, half is being fermented with the second generation of grown up dregs from a few commercial saisons.  The other half is being fermented with a blend of East Coast Yeast 08 (Saison Brasserie Blend) and Brettanomyces Claussenii and Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois.

The recipe for the full batch is as follows:

Batch Number: 80
Brew Date: February 17, 2014
Bottle/Keg Date:
Batch Size: 10 Gallon
OG: 1.050 (estimate)
Fermentation Temperature: 79 F.
IBU: 29.2
ABV: 6.3% (est.)
SRM: 4.3

Mash: Single infusion for 60 minutes at 148 F.
Boil: 60 minute


9lb 8oz French Pilsner
8lb Wheat, Flaked
2lb Munich Malt

Salts & Water

7.0g Calcium Chloride (all added directly to the kettle)

Resulting water profile (based on EZ Water Calculator) is as follows:

Mash pH (est.): 5.49
Calcium: 67
Magnesium: 12
Sodium: 7
Chloride: 73
Sulfate: 27


5mL HopShot at 60 minutes
3.0oz Citra (12.9 AAU), leaf, at flameout


2 tsp. Wyeast Yeast Nutrient at 10 minutes
28g Blood Orange Zest at flameout
10g Rose Hips at flameout


Saison dregs / Ambrosia Blend 003 (5 gallons)
East Coast Yeast Saison Brasserie (ECY08) plus Brett C & Brett Trois  / Ambrosia Blend 002 (5 gallons)


02.18.2014: At 12 hours, the temperature was only 62 F in the basement, so I set up a water fermentation "chamber" in a large plastic tub.  I have an aquarium heater attached to a temperature controller.  I set the controller to 70 F with a differential of 2 degrees.  At 24 hours, the temperature was up to 68 F.  I upped the controller set temperature to 71 F.  The ECY & Brett portion is bubbling away, but nothing on the saison dreg portion yet.

02.19.2014: At 36 hours, controller says the temperature is 70 (temperature of the fermenting beer itself is the same).  Both are bubbling quite a bit.

03.01.2014: The version with Anna dregs has a sulfur taste just like the Saison Faible portion with this blend did.  I don't want to take any chances on 5 gallons, so I decided to make it a bit funky and added a wine thief full of fermenting Citrine (blend with lambic dregs previous Citrine dregs) to the bucket.

03.03.2014: Decided to create something I've wanted to try for a long time now, which is a passion fruit saison.  Since passion fruit is such a strong flavor, I wanted to keep it relatively subdued.  Thus, I added 28oz. of passion fruit puree to the Ambrosia Blend 002 portion of the batch, first saving a "clean" portion of the cake by filling a mason jar with a few wine thief pulls full of as much of the cake as I could get.  The puree was still a bit of a slush, so I added it through a funnel with the bottom of the funnel inside the liquid, attempting to limit any oxygen exposure.

03.16.2014: 23 bottles.  Aiming for 2.5 volumes.  122 grams of table sugar in 5 gallons of beer.

07.20.2014: Finally ready to do something with the portion that had grown up Anna dregs.  After adding the Citrine dregs, it has calmed down a bit, losing sulfur and is overall less funky.  To add another dimension other than the yeast, I added 84oz. of pink guava puree along with a thief full of the currently fermenting batch of Farmhouse Mild (Batch 05).  Hopefully this kick starts things.  I'm a bit worried about the temperature, as one of the 14oz bags of puree busted while thawing, so I ended up adding all of the guava as slush.

No comments:

Post a Comment