Friday, November 14, 2014

Demeter Sinis (Batch 03): Recipe

This was my third time brewing Demeter Sinis, the winter seasonal in the Demeter series.  As I have been pretty happy with it since the first batch, I didn't really change anything up here.  I'm also pretty excited as it has been a long time since I've had "straight" Demeter Sinis available.  This is due to the fact that last year's Batch 02 was all fruited, with the pomegranate portion getting kegged and the cranberry portion was bottled.  Thankfully I do still have a few bottles of the latter.  

As I've cleaned up my temperature control equipment for the season making way for a steep drop-off in brewing over the next few months (twin boys coming soon to the Thorpe family!), I decided to just ferment this one at room temperature.  In my experience, I've gotten yeast-driven character that's pretty similar no matter the temperature I use with my current yeast/Brett blend, it just takes a bit longer when fermenting in the 65-70*F range as opposed to the 75-80*F range.  I really do need to do some actual split-batch experiments with temperature next year though.

The recipe for the full batch is as follows:

Batch Number: 96
Brew Date: October 4, 2014
Bottle Date: November 2, 2014
Batch Size: 10 gallons
OG: 1.045 (estimated)
FG: 1.002 (estimated)
Fermentation Temperature: 65-70* F (room temperature)
IBU: 27.0
ABV: 5.5% (est.)
SRM: 17

Mash: Single infusion for 60 minutes at 154* F.
Boil: 60 minute


7lb 8oz Belgian Pilsner
4lb 0oz Wheat Malt
4lb 0oz Wheat, Flaked
1lb 0oz Acid Malt
0lb 12oz Rye Malt
0lb 8oz Oats
0lb 8oz CaraMunich
0lb 8oz Carafa II
0lb 4oz Chocolate Malt

Salts & Water

5.5g Calcium Chloride (all added directly to the kettle)
4.3g Gypsum (all added directly to the kettle)
6.1g Sodium Chloride (all added directly to the kettle)

All of the salts are added directly to the kettle to achieve the ultimate water profile that I am looking for. Acid malt is being used to get the mash pH almost to where I wanted it.  I also added 4mL of lactic acid to the mash.

Resulting water profile (based on EZ Water Calculator v3) is as follows:

Mash pH (est.): 5.21
Calcium: 78
Magnesium: 12
Sodium: 50
Chloride: 127
Sulfate: 70

I also added 5.5mL of lactic acid to the sparge water to get the pH of that liquor to 5.2.


1.0oz Nugget (pellet, 13.3 AAU) at 60 minutes
1.0oz Willamette (leaf, 7.5 AAU) at flameout


2.0 tsp. Wyeast Yeast Nutrient at 10 minutes
6.0g Lavender, dried, at flameout*
1.0g Black Cardamom, at flameout


Full batch used Ambrosia Blend 005 (now the seventh generation) from the cake of an September 27, 2014 batch of Demeter Facile.  Per yeast, I needed 160 billion cells for the entire batch.  At 40-60% solids, this would mean 250mL for the whole batch.  I went with 500mL, as I was pulling from a wine thief and didn't have the best vie, and I'd rather overpitch than underpitch, and didn't have time to let everything settle out before measuring.


11.02.2014: Bottled around 9 gallons, aiming for 3.0 volumes of CO2 based on the priming calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment